Amazon calculates a product’s star ratings using a machine learned model instead of a raw data average. The machine learned model takes into account factors including: the age of a review, helpfulness votes by customers and whether the reviews are from verified purchases.
Review this product
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Hearing this book was a life changing experience for me. It's not just for women, but it is for anyone who wants to really know the soul of a woman, or any woman looking to find her own. The stories are incredible and her interpretations are absolutely stunning! Buy it! You won't be sorry.
Dr Estes talks about four groups of factors necessary for a fulfilling long term relationship. First is the need to recognise that death and rebirth are integral to life. She illustrates this with the story of Skeleton Woman. Next is the importance of Eros, the living connection to people and things. A person seeks meaning and beauty in the other. Third is the dual nature of women: the civilised, tame side and the instinctual wild side. Fourth, Dr Estes gives twelve qualities a good partner should have.In summary they are:
1. See them "blind," i.e. with your inner eye. Know how you feel about them. Be aware how they treat you: are they loyal? are they kind? devoted? Do they have the ability to care for themselves as independent beings?
2. Someone who can change and is evolving, Who is curious about the world. Who is open and is willing to learn.
3. Who is strong like you. Strong like a great tree, but bends in the wind. Who is sensitive to others.
4. Someone whose feeling function has not been impaired by past pain and pent up anger. If either hurts the other they show pain. Their ability to se your pain and feel for you.
5. Who has an inner life of their own. This helps because there are times to be together and times to be alone. Be equal partners on life's journey.
6. Shared experiences and memories are the glue that helps keep you together. There needs to be some similar passions so you can do things together.
7. Similar views on basic questions, e.g. the role of women, rearing children, attitudes to money. When the pragmatics are settled it is easier to soar.
8. Someone who is compassionate and listens. It takes 8-9 years to know the rhythm of a relationship. It is the building of a miracle.
9. Someone who can laugh at themselves. Humour defuses tensions.
10. Know who you can live with. `Cute' habits can annoy you later. Serious behavioural problems--substance addictions, lying, etc.--are intolerable. Your partner should have a soul life.
11. Be friends and lovers. Do for a lover what you would do for a good friend. Sit and listen; discuss what you want to do.
12. Someone who makes your life bigger rather than smaller.
This is excellent advice for good relationships. Dr Estes also uses myths and stories to illustrate her views.
5.0 out of 5 starsHow to Love a Woman The erotic life of women
Reviewed in the United States on October 22, 2010
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
This work by Dr. Estes' is the best of in-depth Jungian Psychology. I have used this in my clinical practice for several years. It helps men and women understand the deeper meaning of their inner life. I have purchased this work many times both to give as gifts and to teach clients. Darlene Terry, CSW, LISW La Luz, NM
Reviewed in the United States on November 12, 2010
Format: Audio CassetteVerified Purchase
I so admire the work of Dr. Estes! This tape was simply wonderful and I fully intend to share it with family and friends. It is insightful and written in a common sense approach. Sappho's "poetry" was especially moving for me since there is so little of her poetry that is complete. I highly recommend this tape to all women and I believe there is much for men to learn as well.
5.0 out of 5 starsJust get it, and you will get it.
Reviewed in the United States on May 28, 2013
Occasionally something comes along that triggers a personal breakthrough, something that changes your whole life for the better. I first heard this work by Dr. Estes many years ago and it enlightened me. This purchase is for a wedding gift to my only son.