- helpful votes
The History of Ancient Egypt
- Written by: Bob Brier, The Great Courses
- Narrated by: Bob Brier
- Length: 24 hrs and 25 mins
- Original Recording
Ancient Egyptian civilization is so grand our minds sometimes have difficulty adjusting to it. It lasted 3,000 years, longer than any other on the planet. Its Great Pyramid of Cheops was the tallest building in the world until well into the 19th century and remains the only Ancient Wonder still standing. And it was the most technologically advanced of the ancient civilizations, with the medical knowledge that made Egyptian physicians the most famous in the world.
A Moderately Entertaining Dive
- By 101 on 2018-10-03
informative, exciting, educational and CAPTIVATING
I've listened to a number of audio books now and this is my favourite by far.
The material was fascinating, super informative and well presented. The orator was great : you could sense his energy and excitement to talk about the topics. Some might part of how he walks through things a bit annoying, but for me it just added to the mysticism of the whole thing. Brilliant!
I was so jazzed after completing the course that:
- Instead of just treating as background noise, I took detailed notes
- I bought several books and attempted (unsuccessfully) to enroll in a university course on Hieroglyphs
* I am now doing a self-taught course based on the text book
If you've ever even had a passing interest in Egypt, do it - listen to this course!