LISTENER

Melissa Simkin

  • 3
  • reviews
  • 104
  • helpful votes
  • 3
  • ratings

One of the best in the Outlander series!

Overall
5 out of 5 stars
Performance
5 out of 5 stars
Story
5 out of 5 stars

Reviewed: 2019-09-10

I can't believe that this series just keeps getting better. So much happens in this book! I have to download the next one and keep going!

Mel Robbins is spectacular

Overall
5 out of 5 stars
Performance
5 out of 5 stars
Story
5 out of 5 stars

Reviewed: 2019-06-15

I loved this audiobook. I loved that it wasn't preachy about specific habits you need to pick up to be successful like so many other self help books do. Everyone is living a different life, they have different pasts, different problems, and different priorities. We all have one thing in common: we all let fear interfere with our ability to achieve our goals (whatever our goals may be, and what ever our fears may be). Figuring out what we are afraid of, how we are triggered by that fear and how to move past it is all a unique experience that we need to have. I'm excited to start working on my own life and move past my own fears. I recommend this book to anyone who feels like they are often spiraling in their own thoughts, or struggling to understand a loved one who might be.

Mixed feelings but I have to be honest

Overall
3 out of 5 stars
Performance
5 out of 5 stars
Story
2 out of 5 stars

Reviewed: 2019-03-26

I will admit- this book was motivating. Rachel Hollis laid the book out well, and she was a great narrator for this audiobook. She had a lot of good ideas, some of them were common sense, but I did incorporate them into my life. I started drinking a LOT of water at work, climbing the stairs to the 11th floor of my building instead of taking the elevator, I started squeezing more into my schedule than I used to. I started evaluating my choices, habits and friends. I feel confident to make changes in my life. That is what a motivational book should do.

But where this book falls short, is how out of touch Rachel is with the common woman. She frequently references her lavish lifestyle and how much money she makes, yet tells us not to compare ourselves to her. I would say 40% of the book included tips on how to improve your life and mood, the other 60% was a brag-fest, and her "obstacles" are ant hills compared to the mountains some women have to climb. She says she got to where she is by working hard, but the fact is, she got where she is because she has a supportive partner who makes enough money and takes care of the kids to allow her to pursue her dreams.

I felt motivated many times throughout this book. Other times, long after I stopped listening to it, I would randomly get angry about how much she brags about her life, and what examples she references to make her points. Near the end, she mentioned diversity and including more viewpoints from women of colour, women of all sizes, gay, bi, etc. yet she didn't think to talk to anyone else about their REAL problems before writing a self-help book where the majority of examples don't apply to the majority of the audience. Flying first class, lavish vacations, boob jobs, eyelash extensions, a nanny.. I just couldn't relate. Also, as a scientist, and a women with no children, she rarely used any examples that would pertain to me. Not all of us want a huge social media following, and not many of us base our success on how much we weigh.

I just felt that this book missed the mark and excluded many great women also looking for motivation that aren't social media gurus or mothers. I will not read any more books from her.

104 of 109 people found this review helpful