Get a free audiobook
Keeping Chickens for Beginners is for anyone wanting to keep his or her own chickens, whether for eggs, meat, or exhibiting. Keeping chickens can seem very overwhelming at first, and this audiobook provides a clear step-by-step guide walking you through everything from selecting the right breed for your needs to looking after your chickens to breeding them. Everything you need to know to successfully keep chickens and enjoy fresh eggs or meat is in this detailed audiobook.
Whether you have bought chickens already or are considering it, you will learn exactly what you need to do as well as the correct equipment for keeping healthy chickens.
In Keeping Chickens for Beginners, you will discover:
- Choosing a coop: get the right coop and run, learn the major expenses in chicken keeping, and ensure your chickens are healthy and protected.
- Choosing a breed: Learn exactly what to look for in a breed as well as the pros and cons of various breeds, including the best egg layers and meat chickens.
- Feeding and watering: Discover the best foods for your chickens and what you should never feed them, as well as their water requirements.
- Caring for chickens: It's a big commitment, so learn everything you need to know to care for your hens, from routine jobs to protecting them to seasonal precautions and more.
- Cleaning the coop: a vital job that has to be done properly, so you will learn the best way to clean the coop to kill pests and prevent infection.
- Pests, disease, and predators: Find out the risks to your chickens and exactly what you can do to minimize these dangers.
- Raising chickens for meat: not for everyone, but you will find out exactly how to raise a chicken for the table, including killing, plucking, and butchering the bird.
- Breeding chickens: how to successfully breed chickens to add to your flock, to sell, or for the table.
- Hatching eggs: everything you need to know to choose eggs to hatch and incubate them successfully.
- Caring for baby chicks: Learn how to take care of baby chicks, how to raise them successfully, and when to move them outside.
- Holidaying: Find out how to go away on holiday and ensure your chickens are well cared for while you are away.
- Exhibiting chickens: Discover the best breeds to exhibit and exactly what is required for a show-winning chicken.
- Making money with chickens: some tips on generating an income from your chickens to help them earn their keep.
Keeping chickens is incredibly rewarding, and once you have had fresh eggs, you won't ever want to return to bland, tasteless supermarket eggs.
Although there is an initial outlay, chickens are relatively low-maintenance and do not cost much once they are settled. You, too, can enjoy daily fresh eggs and meat from your chickens, even if you only keep a handful of chickens at home.
What listeners say about Keeping Chickens for BeginnersAverage Customer Ratings
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- Amazon Customer
great information for beginners. well narrated. I'm glad I read this book! If your just getting started with chickens this book is for you
1 person found this helpful
Good book but not for listening
There is a lot of details and lists in this book that are great, but I wish I had gotten a readable copy instead. Listening to this book is not my ideal because I can’t reference things as easily, or copy them into a notebook without rewinding several times for one sentence. It’s a very informative book and I might buy a physical copy so I can reference it better.