Fight Like a Physicist provides an in-depth, sometimes whimsical look into the physics behind martial arts for sport and self-defense. Whether you are an experienced martial artist or a curious enthusiast, this book can give you an "unfair advantage" by unraveling the complex science of effective fighting techniques and examining the core principles that make them work.
In addition to breaking down the principles behind the punches, Dr. Thalken, a computational physicist with a long history of martial arts across various styles, applies the mind-set of a physicist to a number of controversial topics in the martial arts:
- Making physics your "unfair advantage", in the ring and on the street
- Examining center of mass, pi, levers, wedges, angular momentum, and linear momentum for martial artists
- Protecting the brains of fighters and football players from concussions
- Reducing traumatic brain injury in contact sports
- Overturning conventional wisdom on compliance during an assault
Dr. Thalken invites listeners to take a scientific approach to training and fighting, and provides all the tools necessary to get the most out of their experiences and make their training count.
PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this title, the accompanying PDF will be available in your Audible Library along with the audio.