Get a free audiobook
Add to Cart failed.
Add to Wish List failed.
Remove from wish list failed.
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
$14.95 a month
Buy Now for $27.32
The ultimate collection of great short stories by the best Russian classic authors.
- 1. "Her Lover" by Maxim Gorky
- 2. "The Empty Drum" by Count Leo Tolstoy
- 3. "The Hoop" by Fedor Sologub
- 4. "The District Doctor" by Ivan Turgenev
- 5. "The White Dog" by Fedor Sologub
- 6. "The Cloak" by Nikolai Gogol
- 7. "A Soothing Dream" by Fedor Sologub
- 8. "The Christmas Tree and the Wedding" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- 9. "A Work of Art" by Anton Chekhov
- 10. "Children Wiser Than Their Fathers" by Count Leo Tolstoy
- 11. "The Bet" by Anton Chekhov
- 12. "The Coffin Maker" by Alexander Pushkin
- 13. "The Three Hermits" by Count Leo Tolstoy
- 14. "Twenty-Six Men and a Girl" by Maxim Gorky
- 15. "The Queen of Spades" by Alexander Pushkin
- 16. "A Candle" by Count Leo Tolstoy
- 17. "The Self-Sacrificing Rabbit" by Nicolai Schedrin
- 18. "The Honest Thief" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- 19. "Comrades" by Maxim Gorky
- 20. "The Long Exile" by Count Leo Tolstoy
- 21. "The Nose" by Nikolai Gogol
- 22. "The Chorus Girl" by Anton Chekhov
- 23. "The Old Verger" by Vladimir Korolenko
- 24. "The Encased Man" by Anton Chekhov
- 25. "The Pistol Shot" by Alexander Pushkin
What listeners say about The Great Russian Short Story CollectionAverage Customer Ratings
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- charlanda wise
I really enjoyed the different stories by the different authors. The narrator was a little hard to understand - she had a heavy accent. Other than that - I would say OK.
- La'toya Myles
Narrator is detestable.
I can't finish because I cannot concentrate. the narrator sounds silly, and I don't know why she has to make things sound "scary" when they're not. Seriously, every story is a horror story because of her narration. Very annoying.
7 people found this helpful
What didn’t you like about Cathy Dobson’s performance?
Every three words she does a downward inflection and a drag! It really makes no difference what she's reading: the title, the author's name, the middle or the end of a sentence. It's so terribly monotonic, I replayed a 10 minutes story three times and still could not follow. This is by far the worst audio book I've ever gotten.
18 people found this helpful
- Yearachmiel Holtz
Great selection ruined by abysmal narration.
Superb selection but the narration ruined the experience. Dobson reads every sentence as one would read a fairy tale to a child. Somehow she managed to strip profound passages of meaning with her annoying overdramatic performance. Her unwarranted emphasis on every last word of a sentence was cringeworthy. So disappointing because she ruined the magnificent selections.
8 people found this helpful
- Amazon Customer
Room for improvement
I greatly admire the writers represented here. I was frustrated at not knowing more clearly which one I was listening to. Cathy Dobson has an intriguing voice, but also a few idiosyncrasies of phrasing and diction that I at first found distracting -- later on, I got used to them, yet still found they drained away some of the power of the stories.
1 person found this helpful