A collection of 13 award winning short stories the true adventures of California Fish and Game Wardens and the wildlife-destroying outlaws they pursue. These stories illustrate the wide variety of wildlife-related problems wardens face in California, which has a greater diversity of wildlife and wildlife habitat than any other state and is second only to Alaska in its vast expanses of wilderness.
The fifth season contains 13 more exciting adventures:
- "Uncatchable Chick Feathers": A clever deer-poaching archer, widely considered to be too smart to catch, meets an old-time game warden who disagrees.
- "Incident at Killer Cove": Armed killers on the run tangle with game wardens on the prowl.
- "Sooner or Later": An outlaw falconer outsmarts a new and inexperienced game warden. A year later, he’s not so lucky. Otter Killers and Uncommon Luck - Wardens pursue sea-otter-killing commercial abalone divers.
- "Leo’s Demise": One man dies before wardens deal with an African lion, a grown pet gone rogue, in the suburbs of Los Angeles.
- "Tough Customers": A game warden and a hostage-taking armed robber nearly destroy a drugstore.
- "Bug Pirates": Trap-raiding lobster thieves meet with misfortune.
- "Setliners": Wardens target long-line catfish poachers.
- "A Matter of Preference": Wardens attempting to ambush season-jumping commercial lobster fishermen get a big surprise.
- "Delta Ambush": Night-prowling, canoe-borne wardens stalk a wily and destructive Delta outlaw.
- "Rake Man": A well disguised warden outsmarts lawless abalone pickers.
- "The Honest to God Truth": An honest mistake and a white-knuckle, midnight vehicle tail through Long Beach yields a surprise and an important arrest.
- "Raid of the Stockton Airborne": Did they or didn’t they? Wardens from the sky? A day for mass-killing duck poachers does not end well.